Sunday, August 29, 2010

Imagination

“Everything you can imagine is real.” … Pablo Picasso


Sarah: Mom, you left your grape jui-, I mean you left your wine sitting over there.
Me: I know. I’m waiting to drink it when I finish on the computer, because it will make me sleepy. Oh, and I also like it better room temperature.
Sarah: (rolls her eyes)

That conversation took place moments ago. Kwethluk is a dry village, meaning that it is illegal to buy, sell, or possess alcohol. Those of you who know me well are probably wondering how I’m doing. Let me just say that the imagination is a powerful tool! I regularly enjoy a glass or two of Welch’s Grape Juice in a wine glass and I call it wine. It is my wine. Believe it or not, sometimes I even fool myself – it actually tastes like wine to me. And, get this – I get sleepy after my second glass! Crazy? I know, right!?



I have definitely come to realize that the relaxation associated with imbibing alcohol is largely psychological, at least for me. I swear I even thought I had a hangover one morning after having 4 or 5 glasses of “wine.” I actually had to take a Tylenol!

On another interesting note, the teachers all got together tonight at Rachel and Kristin’s house (HS Social Studies teacher and 6th Grade teacher). It was a pot-luck. I brought Smoked Halibut and Cream Cheese on crackers. There were also beef enchiladas, guacamole, mashed potatoes, dried salmon, and Akutaq in addition to many other items. It was a feast! Akutaq (pronounced a-Goo-duk), in case you’re wondering, is also known as Eskimo Ice Cream. It is the orange stuff in the white bowl in the picture. It is made by mixing together salmon berries, whipped shortening, and sugar. Before you say, “Ew!” you should try it! It is surprisingly good – I had three servings!

I’m pretty sure I could live out the rest of my days eating dried salmon and akutaq and be quite content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...