Saturday, October 26, 2013

What's for Dessert?

I made muffins to sell at the bakery on Friday. Almond Joy Muffins (vanilla muffins loaded with chocolate chips, coconut, and toasted almonds), Wake-Me-Up Muffins (coffee and maple flavored), and a Lemon Poundcake with Lemon Icing, sliced and served up like Starbucks. “Where did you learn to bake like that?” was the question from my co-worker, Erin. No recipes, just instinct.

“That’s some good Custard Pie!” Kurt complimented tonight while eating the dessert I had made, smothered in my signature Whiskey Cream Sauce. “Where did you learn to bake like that?”

“What’s for dessert?” was a common question in my house as I raised my two daughters on my own for 14 years. You see, when I was growing up, my mother was a “clean your plate” tyrant. If I didn’t finish my hamburger at dinner, it was served to me cold-from-the-fridge for breakfast, and every meal after that until it was gone. I was determined to never do that to my own children.

My solution? I made dessert every night for my kids and my house rule was “if you clean your plate, you get dessert.” Sometimes the peas just weren’t worth a bowl of ice cream. So, I upped my game. I wanted to make sure that Chocolate Cheesecake would make anyone eat their brussel sprouts. It worked! My children became adventurous eaters… and I became a stellar baker!

No, my mother never let me in the kitchen when she was baking, and she baked everything from scratch… bread, cookies, cakes, kuchens… everything. I raised my girls sitting on the kitchen counter stirring batter as soon as they were old enough to hold a spoon.

 How did I become a baker? Necessity. As a single mom in a low income situation, making sure my girls ate well was number one, so dessert was a Must-Have! It worked. My girls are healthy adults with a love for food and a love for cooking and baking. And, I… well, I am a baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...