Saturday, July 22, 2017

Living with Essential Oils

Living in a cabin off the grid in Alaska definitely comes with its challenges. However, essential oils have become my go-to when it comes to problem solving.

Ironing spray. I use a butane iron with an ironing board that consists of a tea towel spread over a large, wooden, cutting board. There is no temperature or steam selection on the iron, but I’ve learned that I never really needed them anyway. I don’t iron anything delicate. (I told you we live in the backcountry of Alaska, right?) However, I do a lot of sewing and quilting and it takes steam to get those fabrics wrinkle free. I fill a spray bottle with water (river water) and add a few drops of whatever-mood-I’m-in-essential-oil. At the moment, it is Spiced Orange, and it makes my fabrics and final result smell delightful, in addition to providing me with that extra umph that I need to make my fabrics crisp and smooth.

Bug Off. Mosquitoes, flies, gnats, no-see-ums. All of those little pests could easily drive me from my garden or off of the tundra during berry picking season, but thanks to a lethal combination of essential oils and witch hazel, my handy spray bottle keeps them at bay. Sometimes, I buy a combination already put together by my essential oil provider, or sometimes I just mix a few drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus, and lavender into a half cup of witch hazel and call it good. Basil also works well.  I laugh when I’m putting it together, feeling like a mad scientist, thinking that the peppermint is giving me extra energy, the eucalyptus is actually repelling the pests, and the lavender is making me so relaxed that I don’t care if there are bugs around or not. True, I do have to reapply every half hour or so, but I feel better about not spraying poison on myself or the plants around me.

Fly Away. If you have an outhouse, you know where I’m going with this. Summertime brings flies that can and will swarm the outhouse by the thousands if not kept at bay. I walk out to the outhouse, open the door, and they rise out of the depths through the toilet seat hole like a great mass of Death Eaters from Harry Potter’s worst nightmares. Never fear. A spray bottle filled with two cups of vinegar and 10 drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus, and basil will do the trick! Spray that magic potion on every surface, inside and out, and down the hole, for good measure, and your problems are solved. Another hint – you might want to take your coffee grounds out there and pour them down the hole as that kills mosquitoes breeding in the moist, yucky stuff that shall not be named. There is nothing more unsatisfying than looking out at the beautiful view from the outhouse as flies buzz up the hole behind your hiney and mosquitoes take a bite or two. Problem solved.

Purification. I’m 50 and proud of it. However, my bladder is not what it used to be and I often have to go to the bathroom two or more times during the night, at least once for sure. I did tell you we live in the Alaskan wilderness, right?! That means that a trip to the outhouse in the middle of the night is not at the top of my bucket list. So, I have an indoor port-a-potty that I use for those emergencies. I’ve tried the commercial deodorizer packets but they leave a chemical smell lingering in the air. I have a very sensitive sense of smell, so I use a synergy blend essential oil, Purification being my favorite. The scent is clean and natural and totally deodorizes to my satisfaction. The scent is a combination of lemongrass, rosemary, and citronella.

Heal Thyself. Whether you suffer from sickness or sore muscles, I’ve got the answer. I came down with pneumonia for the first time when I was 40. I had always had a tendency to get bronchitis from a simple cold, but that was the first time that it went a step further. I’ll never forget in the doctor’s office that day, when she used the phrase, “Well, when you get to be this age…” This age? This age! How? When? Did that happen? Eight of the last 10 years have brought pneumonia back to me in various degrees. Eucalyptus oil, rubbed on my chest, opens my lungs better than the dime store vapor rub. In addition, it’s great for cold sores and head congestion.

No matter your age, sore muscles afflict all of us sooner or later. Whether it’s that knot just below your neck on your left shoulder after a long day at work, the sore muscles from last night’s racketball extravaganza, or the achy knee from the abuse of motorcross or football, capsaicin is your friend. Personally, I use a stick (looks like a deodorant stick) that’s infused with capsaicin oil (found in spicy peppers). Its natural heat melts knots and soreness away. Try it.

My diffuser and a variety of oils
Diffuser. For my birthday this year, my daughter gave me a battery-operated essential oil diffuser. She knows me well. Most days, we enjoy fresh fish or wild game meals fried up in an iron skillet. Being without conventional electricity means there is no exhaust fan in the kitchen. Our cabin is 400 square feet, including the bedroom loft. Are you getting a clear picture yet? Or rather, are you smelling it yet? That diffuser is a godsend, swiftly changing the cabin scent from spicy fish to gentle lavender or fresh orange. Whether it’s the diffuser or a homemade candle with essential oils mixed into the beeswax, freshness is only a moment away.

Perfume. Did you know that there are even essential oil blends created to imitate pheromones? Crazy! But, hey, who am I kidding? I’m in! Being married to a hard working man almost 12 years my senior, if I can get a leg up in the attraction department, I’ll take it. The scents are subtle, woodsy, and musky. I learned a long time ago that the scent men are most attracted to is pumpkin pie (for women, it’s vanilla). No big surprise there if you’re familiar with the old saying, “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” A little cinnamon behind both ears and you’re good to go! Seriously, using essential oils as an alluring fragrance has a long history of success, and if you can go all natural with what the earth intended instead of spraying on overpoweringly perfumey fragrances, why not?!

Dandelion Oil
Lotions, soaps, shampoos. Always looking to reduce the amount of man-made, chemically enhanced substances from my daily life, essential oil infused skin and hair care was a good fit from the start. I find them to be more gentle and cleansing at the same time than other over-the-counter products. My husband finds the soft smelling scents seductive, which is a definite plus. Lotions and soaps made with essential oils tend to have a lighter scent that soaks deeply into the skin. I’ve even embarked on the adventure of making my own dandelion oil, known for its skin healing properties (recipe below). All natural shampoos made with essential oils instead of artificial additives also seem to keep my hair cleaner longer, a definite plus when a bath or shower means hauling 40 lb buckets of water up 40-some steps from the river to heat on the stove.

At the end of the day, the benefits of living off grid in an old Alaskan trapper’s cabin definitely outweigh the challenges. It’s just a matter of shifting the way I think about daily life. Using essential oils requires a lot less label reading for toxic chemicals, giving me more time for the things I enjoy, like sitting on the porch with a glass of wine, watching the silver salmon jump their way upriver. Cheers!

Dandelion Oil
Topical use only: Healing for Psoriasis, Eczema, or other dry skin ailments. Also, soothes sore muscles.

1.     Pick and dry full-bloom dandelion flowers. Getting rid of the excess moisture is key to preventing bacteria or mold from growing.
2.     Fill a sterilized quart jar 2/3 full of the dried flowers and pour enough organic olive oil in to reach ½ inch below the bottom of the lid.
3.     If you’d like, you can add a few drops of your favorite smelling essential oil at this point. Personally, I like the natural olive oil scent.
4.     Tighten two-piece lid and place in a sunny location for two weeks.
5.     Strain oil through cheesecloth into smaller, sterilized jars. Tighten lids and keep in dark location for up to one year.

Optional: After the initial two weeks, you can strain the oil and add another batch of dried dandelion flowers, and set in sun for another two weeks in order to make an extra-strength batch.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...