Thursday, November 9, 2017

Do You Get Out Very Often?

Trail in early fall.
This is the eighth in a series of posts I’m writing in answer to the questions I get asked the most.

"Do you get out very often?"

My reflex answer to this is, “Too often.”

In all seriousness, I do enjoy going into the village every couple of weeks, and could go as often as I like, but I have no reason, no need to go. In the summertime, mid-May through mid-October, it’s a quick 20-minute boat ride or 45 minutes by 4-wheeler, and in the winter, it’s 15 minutes by snowmachine, all of which stay parked right outside of our cabin. However, the shoulder seasons, which we are in the middle of right now, of spring and fall make travel a good deal more difficult.

Fall Down. Go Boom.
We live near the base of a huge hill (I shall heretofor refer to it as “the mountain.”) and there is a steep trail that climbs 600 vertical feet in one mile via hairpin switchbacks, a sketchy trail in the best of circumstances. Cover that trail with wet leaves, mud, ice, snow, or any combination of these and you have a recipe for disaster, which means it must be hiked on foot, often with the use of ski poles for support. We leave our 4-wheelers and snowmachines at the top of the mountain, ready and waiting for the 12 mile drive to town. Our nearest neighbor is (you guessed it) 12 miles away.

Living on the river has its definite advantages. However, shoulder seasons don’t make the pro-list. Gregg put the boat away three weeks ago, when the river started to freeze up… for the first time. It froze all the way across, as did its tributaries, only to break up and float out to sea with an extended warm front bringing upper 30’s and rain. Much of the small harbor in the village stayed frozen, so there was no way to put the boat back in the water… that was… until a few days ago. Strong winds and high tides washed away most of the harbor ice, but
Slushy river
the temps immediately began to drop which created slush and ice floating down the river again, making it impossible to navigate with a jet-propelled motor, which is what we have. However, there have been a couple of boats motoring through the ice in front of the cabin over the past few days with their prop motors. Still, that’s got to be one – cold – ride!

All that leads me to my point that travel has been difficult for us for almost a month, now, what with no boat access and a mile hike before a 45-minute ride. Most days, Gregg does just that to go to work at his small engine shop in the village. I made that trip last Friday and Saturday to prepare for and participate in the Saturday Market. It was exhausting! And, I don’t plan to do it again until I absolutely have to. Before that, it had been two weeks since I had been to town.

I made it to the top of the Mountain!
Today, we’re getting a winter storm. Snow and wind. Gregg stayed home today to get out of the weather. In a few days, the temperature is supposed to drop into the teens for highs and single digits overnight. We are keeping our fingers crossed that in another couple of weeks the river will be frozen enough to drive on, freeing us from the grip of the fall shoulder season.

Sometimes it’s odd to think that I go weeks at a time without having a person-to-person conversation with anyone other than Gregg, but I don’t miss it.

As far as leaving the village, that requires a plane ticket. We only go to Anchorage when we absolutely have to. I go at least once every six months for my glaucoma checkup, but Gregg hasn’t been out of the village in almost a year, when we went to the Lower 48 to spend Christmas with family. That doesn’t seem odd to us either. It’s our normal.

I do 95% of my shopping online, most of that with Target and Amazon. Gregg brings things home with him as they come in the mail. Likewise, if we need eggs or bread from the store or meat from our freezer in town, he brings that home with him. There is no reason for me to go to town.

So, “Do I get out very often?”

“I get out quite enough, thank you.”

6 comments:

  1. Great post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject?
    I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
    Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you please give me something more specific about what you’d like for me to write more about? How we travel from place to place? Exactly how often or why we go to town? Details about the terrain or weather?

      Delete
  2. I came across your blog by mutual friend Kerry Rothgeb. I saw you commented on her New Years Eve post about what she made for dinner and was intrigued by your comment of moose being your selection! So I HAD to find out if my suspicions of where you lived were true. And it was! ALASKA!! And not in a bigger city, but a mile walk up a “mountain and 45 minuet wheeler ride to a village! So intriguing to me!! In this day and age of everything at ones fingertips, and conveniences we have, to read you are starting your day with a cup of coffee by kerosene light gives me a feeling of peacefulness just reading your words. But also ALOT of work because of not having the conveniences at your fingertips. I am anxious to read more about your daily life. But for now was curious as to how you know my little brother, Jim Erdmann? Did you go to school with him and Kerry? I will be bringing your name up to him, as I speak with him almost daily. By the way, your view from your cabin is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, I did go to school with Kerry and Jim. I graduated from Hayward High in 1985. I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying my blog! ... and for dinner tonight, Halibut Enchiladas! LOL

      Delete
  3. Halibut enchiladas! Interesting and creative! How does a girl from Hayward Wisconsin, end up at the edge of the Bearing Sea in a trappers cabin off grid? I am making my way through your blog for answers! ��
    Spoke to Jim about you yesterday and he is an avid follower of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dream was always to live in Alaska, so I took a teaching job up here 10 years ago, then another, and another. The rest of the story is here... http://livingthedream-kathy.blogspot.com/2017/06/matchcom.html

      Delete

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...