Monday, April 6, 2020

Day 19

In the past 15 years, I’ve had pneumonia 7 times. Every year that I was teaching in a public school classroom, I came down with a respiratory infection that turned into bronchitis that turned into pneumonia. Every year. I was bracing myself for it this year, since I was back in the classroom, albeit a college classroom, when COVID-19 shut everything down.

The doctors say that my lungs are misshapen; my lungs and surrounding organs are pushed to one side, most likely because of scoliosis that went undetected until I was 29. Therefore, infections settle in my lungs very quickly. Because of this, I fall into the high-risk category for COVID-19.

That is one reason why I’m on Day 19 of extreme social distancing. The other reason is because of the carelessness of others. I wish I could care less about this virus, but I need to remain vigilant if I want to remain upright. Those who can care less, do. They meet up with friends for a quick visit. They take their entire family with them to go grocery shopping. They hug their grandchildren. They even go to packed church services. By doing those things, they are encouraging the spread of the virus. By doing those things, they are lengthening my isolation. By doing those things, they are encouraging others to do the same.

I send Gregg to the grocery store, have him wash his clothes and take a shower as soon as he gets home, and I only let him go during the senior shopping hours early in the morning when the carts have been freshly sanitized and the store isn’t open to the general public, those who care less. I love to cook and bake and I miss going to the store. It is one of the great pleasures of living on the road system, to see what’s in the produce department. I’m not willing to take the chance. I’m not willing to put myself into the category of the 5% of people who develop complications from the virus.

I was put on a ventilator last September and the intubation damaged my vocal cords. Despite the prognosis, I recovered. If I lost my voice permanently, it would be devastating for me and my career. I don’t want to take the chance of being put on a ventilator ever again.

Yes, I’ve had the flu shot before… and still came down with the flu.
Yes, I’ve had the pneumonia shot before… and came down with pneumonia twice that year.
I don’t believe in submitting myself to any more of those vaccines because they only target a select few of the viruses floating around. Viruses mutate and change and make the vaccines unreliable, at best. The best prevention is being careful, staying away from the general public, and teaching people to care more, not less.

With 3 feet of snow on the ground in April, it’s easy to get cabin fever. However, I combat it by taking long walks or going for a drive. There are so many mountain roads and communities to explore!

Is it an extreme reaction? Well, that’s the thing about opinions - everybody has one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...