Sunday, April 4, 2010


Spring is trying it's best to get here, but we still get snowflakes almost every day. For every 3 inches that melt, another inch falls. Today, I took Nali out to the beach for a brisk, 38 degree walk. The wind was gusting 30mph with occasional sea spray hitting us and dark clouds on the horizon. But, it was beautiful, as always.

As I consider what to do about next fall, I embrace my life in Homer. As of right now, I don't have a teaching job in the fall. I have toyed with the idea of doing something other than teaching. But, Alas, I AM a teacher. That's just who I am. Teaching opportunities in Homer are sparce and the outlook isn't good.

I don't want to live any closer to civilization, so Kenai or any other city of size is out. I have applied in to the North Slope and Bering Strait school districts. The solitude of the bush tugs at my heartstrings. Barrow has two openings for High School Language Arts teachers. But, isn't that just a compromise?

I have a pre-screening interview with Point Hope (west of Barrow) on Monday. That's more like it. Off the road system. Population 750. Whaling, subsistence community. North of the Arctic Circle. Polar Bears abound.

My mind wanders to these far off places until a gust of wind blows straight through my ears. My headband must have shifted. I adjust my headband as I'm brought spiraling back to my present, look around, and sigh at the beautiful landscape that I yearn to leave behind.

1 comment:

  1. Powerful writing, Kathy. I am praying for you as you face this decision. Much love.

    ReplyDelete

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...