Monday, September 27, 2010

I know I'm in Alaska when...

It's 35 degrees on September 27 and I’m putting together a dog house with no instructions, 5 inch nails, and a hammer while a crowd of Yupik boys gathers around in amazement that a woman can make a dog house all by herself. Yep, I was racin’ daylight this evening after school, trying to get the dog house ready for Nali to use tomorrow. The weather is turning fast and snow is in the forecast. Winds have been averaging 20mph but may hit 35 again tomorrow – just too cold for a dog to be out in the wind with no shelter to escape it.

While I was working, Nali disappeared for about 10 minutes and came prancing home with a big moose leg bone in her mouth. She was in doggie heaven!

I did make a few boo-boos, but with those super-long-honkin’ nails, it was bound to happen! All in all, I think it turned out pretty good. When I was done with the building, I pulled it up under the house and situated it just so, hoping that the door will be out of the main wind. Then, I gathered dried grass from around the house to make a bed inside. It looks nice a cozy to me!


The huge nails!
Just getting started.
Oops!
Ta dah!
Dried grass for the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...