Friday, December 17, 2010

Thankful Round-Out

I needed to publish the last of my 30 Thankfuls for November, so here they are...


#25 Thankful for My Students
Laughter. Questions. Smiles. Raised eyebrows. Completed assignments. These are the reasons that I am thankful for my students. I was even supposed to go to Bethel again next week and miss class Thursday and Friday to grade district-wide Writing Assessments, but I elected to stay here instead and teach my classes.

#26 Thankful for Weekends
They give me something to look forward to, a chance to cocoon myself or a chance to wander – whatever feels right. I usually bake a loaf of bread either on Saturday or Sunday morning and enjoy several cups of coffee, splurging with a little chocolate syrup in each cup… only on weekends. I can plan a meal that takes all day to cook, like a pot of beans or a roasted turkey. Hours are spent catching up on movies, cross-stitch, and reading. If the weather is nice, the weekend is the only time that affords me a daylight walk with Nali. Yes, weekends are where it’s at!

#27 Thankful for My Education
Education truly does give a person opportunities. I’m glad to have my Masters degree and am looking forward to starting my PhD. I truly love learning and hope I never lose that.

#28 Thankful for the Darkness
Winter is my favorite time of year, always has been. Living this far north just magnifies my love of this special season. Winter is the longest season of the year here, lasting from October until sometime in April (the calendar dates of December 21-March 21 mean nothing this far north). One of the best parts of winter is the darkness. We lose about 5 minutes of light each day right now and will be down to about 5 hours of daylight by December 21, the darkest day of the year. Even the daylight at that time of the year isn't truly daylight, it's just a bright twilight, depending on the cloud cover. The sun just barely comes up over the horizon, skirts along the edge of the earth, and then dips back down below the sea. The long days of summer call for people to be energetic, constantly moving, getting as much done in a day as possible. Whereas the winter is lazy. The fishing and hunting has been done and the meat is tucked away with the berries in the freezer. Afternoon naps are delicious. Sleeping in on a Saturday morning just feels right when the sun doesn't come up until 11am. There's no pressure to get out and exercize because... well... it's dark.

#29 Thankful for Homer
As much as I miss Homer, it is comforting to know that the quaint little fishing village by the sea is patiently awaiting my return. I just finished reading Tide, Feather, Snow by Miranda Weiss of Homer and it's a wonderful novel about the magic of everyday life in a town at the end of the road on the edge of the sea surrounded by majestic snow-capped mountains. It made me terrible Homer-sick, but thankful at the same time.

#30 Thankful for Winter Break
It begins next week, Wednesday at 4pm to be exact. Sarah and I will be on a 5pm charter flight with six other teachers headed out of the village. Our winter break is three weeks long. I don't think I've ever looked so forward to something in all of my life. I've planned it for months, counted down the days for weeks, and now I'm still in the village in body only. My mind/heart has already left for the white sand beaches of Hawaii. This has been a rough five months. Wow has it really been that long? We have given up so much to be here. Yet, I think one day we'll look back at all we gained. Winter break this year seems paradoxical. Usually, one looks forward to a break from the average everyday life - a break from TV, a break from the hustle and bustle, a break from telephones and traffic and advertisements. However, a break for us is the chance to have all of those things for a change.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...