Saturday, December 4, 2010

Smile like there's nothing wrong...

I just have to share the poem below that one of my students wrote and published on her blog. It speaks volumes. Her blog is entitled "Smile like there's nothing wrong."

I am both american and yupik because....
i am an american because.
I speak English, I had learned it from my parents.
I live in the United State and the state Is Alaska
Going on the computer for Facebook, Myspace and Hoverspot
I go to the store, to get junk food, because I got addicted to it
Going walking around Kwethluk, with my friends. At the night time.
Staying up late and waking up late.
Eating fast food when I don’t know what to eat.
Going to travel with airplane to other villages.
Trying to be really perfect act like were all that.

I am an yupik because
Eating Eskimo food like meat, akutaq, and other good food.
Manaqing at the river for good fish.
Yuraqing for the cultures of our traditions
Berry picking, for my family so that we could put berries away for Christmas
Packing water from the river so that we could have water in our homes.
Going haunting and getting real food for the family to have for the winter
My grandmother is from the Kuskokwim, and my other grandmother is from the Yukon
Getting wood from the fores, so that we could have for the winter and steaming
Finishing school and graduating to get a good education.
Steaming and feeling really clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...