Sunday, January 30, 2011

Walking the Dog

Add caption
The temps have been around 32 this weekend and the heat wave lured me outside. Nali loves to go for a run and since it's dangerous for her to be off-leash alone, I decided to go for a walk. Since my skiing adventure on the river yesterday proved to be less than expected (no powdery snow, all ice - and the snowmachines out there make it feel like I'm skiing down a superhighway), I decided to walk out Airport Road. That's right, we have a road with a name. It's about 2 miles long and heads straight to... you guessed it... the airport (I like to call it the airstrip, because airport implies some sort of terminal building, which there is none).

I laced up my cleat-covered boots, grabbed a headband to keep the wind out of my ears, and we were off. It was uneventful and quiet, which was nice. We headed out around 10am, which is before most folks get out of the house here. Not much to tell, so I'll let the pictures tell the story.
The Kuskokwim Mountains (80 miles away).
This is the only place in the village where you can see them.


 
The airstrip is up ahead. The building is some sort of garage - I'm not sure what's inside.

My Nali LOVES to run!


Airport Road...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...