Friday, June 10, 2011

FYI

For those of you who take offense to my blog, take heart in knowing that I understand that every village is different. I, in no way, mean to infer that every village in Alaska is as I experienced Kwethluk. I have friends who were in other villages - Quinhagak, in particular - who had very different experiences. I have been told that I just got a "bad" village. I also understand that villages, like people, go through phases and I seemed to have hit Kwethluk during a "down" time.

These are my experiences. They happened just this way. I cannot change that and you cannot change that. However, I hope that by enlightening others to the situation I found myself buried in Kwethluk, I can be a catalyst for change, for hope, and for optimism. For now, it is what it is and I will not be silenced.

2 comments:

  1. Your experience in Kwethluk was not at all out of the ordinary. I wish I could say that it was but in my time teaching in the region, I saw village after village of the decay you discuss. There is one bandaid after another applied to cover the wretchedness of life there. How can these children grow and prosper when all around them are drunk and neglectful. I cringe when I remember what I saw out there. Since I maintain a high profile position in the State I will remain anonymous but don't let these posters second guess what you felt. That being said, it is their reality and when the culture crumbles and the natives are forced to truely live the lifestyle they espouse or move to the cities, they will be forced into urban third world hell. They will wish that they had not blown it out there on the tundra with the alcohol and neglect. Another generation wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're the poster child of ignorant america.

    ReplyDelete

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...