Saturday, August 27, 2011

This Little Light of Mine...

I finally feel healed enough to start writing my book. Really, it’s just a matter of using my blog posts as a skeleton and filling in added details and side stories, adding a little finesse, if you will. It has taken me over five months to get to this point, emotionally, where I feel ready to tackle the subject. I still get teary eyed when I remember leaving Kwethluk. There’s still a part of me that is embarrassed that I wasn’t strong enough to hack it out there. My heart still breaks every time I let myself remember the exclusion, the shunning. But, I have enough support now to go forward. It almost feels like I’m on emotional crutches… but at least I’m out of the wheelchair!

I really had the wind knocked out of me. The wonderful thing is that here, there is plenty of wind to fill my sails. I honestly believe the teens here need me, the Homer News needs me, my friends need me. I didn’t realize how important it is to feel needed. I wasn’t needed in Kwethluk. I was tolerated. I now recognize that I’m worth more than that. I have so much more to give the world.

In a way, I feel like I’ve been hiding my light under a bushel… like that old Gospel tune, “This little light of mine. I’m gonna let it shine… Hide it under a bushel? No! I’m gonna let it shine… Won’t let Satan blow it out. I’m gonna let it shine!” That’s very much how I feel right now.


Fireweed Rhubarb (left) and
Fireweed Strawberry (right) Jelly
My first step in that direction took place last weekend when I entered six items in the Kenai Peninsula State Fair in Ninilchik. I love to cook. I love to can. I know that I’m good at both, yet I’ve never entered a competition in my life. I was hiding my light under a bushel. Of the six items I entered, four won ribbons! I brought home a 3rd place for my Fireweed Strawberry Jelly and Strawberry Pie, 2nd place for my Fireweed Rhubarb Jelly, and 1st Place Blue Ribbon for my kuspuk that I had sewn in Kwethluk this spring. I’m going to start entering cooking competitions when I can and share my gift of cooking more.
1st Place Blue Ribbon Kuspuk

Writing the book and submitting independent chapters along the way to various publications and writing competitions is the next step. “Won’t let Satan blow it out. I’m gonna let it shine!” I’ve been writing for years. I know I’m a gifted writer and have had many people from all walks of life confirm that. However, I’ve never even entered a competition. It’s time. It’s time to stop hoarding my gifts and instead, share them with the world.

The more I do these things, the more it confirms my own existence. Being a single mom is hard in so many ways. In one way, it has given me a reason to seclude myself, to hide my light. I have concentrated so hard on being a mom that I’ve lost a little of me along the way. Now that Sarah is a senior, the day when I will be totally alone is right around the corner. I’ll still be a mom but I’d better be more than that if I want to successfully deal with the inevitable loneliness that will come with having both of my kids away at college.   

So, it’s exciting to know that I can finally tackle my book on the bush. It won’t be long and I’ll be off the crutches!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to get you back to the real world. Sounds like you are really back among caring people and I know it was a blow to your ego to give up on the the teaching position in Kwethiluk, but as an outsider looking in, I couldn't believe you hung in there as long as you did. I are one strong woman, but what else do you expect from a real Alaskan woman. Right? Loved your blog though, hang in there and you will continue to live your dream. HMc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a successful writer requires about 40% talent, 50% dogged tenacity, and 10% luck. If you can remember that and not give up when the rejection letters start coming in, eventually you should get somewhere. Hell, it seems to be working for me.

    Good on you for picking yourself back up and following your passions. Nice to see you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...