Friday, March 4, 2016

Dreams Do Come True

Whaleback Mountains
Wednesday afternoon, I had an invitation to go up the river with a new friend. Keep in mind that it's the beginning of March... that means the river is frozen. We went up on 4-wheelers, bundled up and driving right down the middle of the river. So much fun! The beautiful sandy delta gives way to tundra which quickly turns into rolling hills and then mountains. The eight-mile trip took my breath away. So much so that I didn't even pause to take any pictures! However, I will go again soon and for sure take plenty of pics.

Wind/Snow fence where local skiers practice.
We left from the AC store (grocery/hardware/toy/clothing/furniture store), driving over the bank and across an 18-inch-deep overflow (open water on top of the ice) out onto the main river. We sailed past the wind fence that the ski team uses to trap the blowing snow from going all the way to the mountains so that they have plenty of snow to ski on close to town and across the open river (not so open this time of year) with a well-marked, well-traveled snow route (for snowmachines, 4-wheelers, and brave, larger vehicles).

We raced around river bend after river bend... I
had a hard time keeping up because I'm new to the concept of driving a 4-wheeler on what is sometimes glare ice, across 2-3 inch fissures made by the rising and lowering tides. Every once in a while, my guide
Unalakleet River, as seen from a dogsled
would stop to point out a particular cabin or trail of interest. However, no one else lives on the river year-round other than my friend, who lives 8 miles out - accessible only by boat  or 4-wheeler in summer and 4-wheeler or snowmachine in winter. He hasn't owned a vehicle in 30 years, makes his living trapping and running a small-engine repair shop in the village. The outhouse is up a steep bank out in back of the cabin and there is a generator to run lights in the evening. No refrigerator or freezer (that's what the cooler on the porch is for). No running water. No phone service (or internet). A front door that's been torn off of its hinges twice by grizzlies. Quiet. View of the river to die for. Set on a hillside with wraparound porch. No window coverings needed. Simple. Straight forward. Peaceful.

Unalakleet
From as far back as my daughters can remember, I've been telling them that I was going to live out my days in Alaska. I told them that they'd have to bring the grandkids in via airplane and then 4-wheeler or snowmachine to visit me. I had a vision. I had a dream. I had a goal. Holy cow, I'm so close that I can see it! Both of my daughters are getting married this summer. I live in a village on the Bering Sea and have my sights set on living a few miles out in a cabin somewhere. Wednesday, I saw the first evidence that it could really happen. Proof. Confirmation. Affirmation. The fulfillment of my dream is close, closer than ever.

I do want running water in my cabin. I'd have to figure out how to store my meat and veg without a refrigerator, or else have electricity... I'm thinking that solar might be a viable option up here. I'm down to the brass tacks... finding a piece of land, but I've found THE place! Unalakleet!

As I prepare to take my Spring Break from school to watch and participate as an Iditarod volunteer, my dreams move ever closer to reality. It has not been an easy road, but it has been absolutely worth it! Make your bucket list today, right now. If I can make it happen, you can!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...