Wednesday, September 27, 2017

What Do You Do with All of Your Spare Time?

This is the seventh in a series of posts I’m writing in answer to the questions I get asked the most.

“What do you do with all of your spare time?”

Thankfully, both what I love to do on a daily basis and what it takes to survive off grid intersect often, running at a close parallel most of the time. Last night, I was up late watching Downton Abbey, Season 4, Disc 1, which just arrived from Netlflix. So, this morning, I lounged in bed until the sun was high overhead around 10am. I only have to tilt my head back on the pillow to look outside the window at the blue sky scattered with cottony clouds, a slight chill in the air fogging the windows on the inside, just around the corners.

Gregg has been up for a couple of hours reading trapping magazines and working Sudoku puzzles, so the coffee’s warm and sits atop the heating stove. We’ve had a hard freeze the past couple of nights and a heavy frost coats the grass and shrubs across the still river, so still that it makes me stare an extra few seconds, making sure there is still an occasional ripple. There, it’s still flowing.

I drink a couple of cups of coffee, laced generously with coconut milk, and settle in with my latest read. Sometimes, I have a “Mother Earth News” or “Cook’s Country” magazine that I’m working my way through. However, this morning, I’m in the middle of a self-published novel by Roman Acleaf, The Tundra Diary: A Didactic Alaskan Novel, about a teacher’s first year teaching in a rural Alaskan Arctic village. I can relate and it is a good reminder of things I’ve seen and done, but not written about yet – I need to get those experiences down on paper. Meanwhile, Johnny Cash is crooning on the local radio station, KNSA, “Feeling unknown and your all alone, flesh and bone, by the telephone… I was a giver. You know I’m a forgiver. Reach out and touch me.” I allow myself an hour, sometimes more, depending on the weather, in this indulgent behavior. The day awaits.

After we decide on a light breakfast consisting of thick slices of Apple Butter Bread, Gregg heads out to burn boxes down by the river and I turn my attention to the greasy stovetop and counters in the kitchen. Once they are acceptable, it’s time to move the dog beds outside to the porch for the day, where they can relax in the cool sunshine and chew on moose bones. I head down the 25 or so steps to the greenhouse, which sits on six foot poles above the low, grassy area just a few feet above the river’s edge. It feels like descending from a treehouse, stepping on the yellow leaf covered planks and looking through the bare branches hanging at eye level. There is a handrail only on the house-side of the steps so that large objects can be easily hauled up and down, to and from the cabin, like the new kitchen stove and its box that Gregg is just now adding to the burn pile.

It is 40 degrees in the greenhouse and the inside most likely didn’t feel the effects of last night’s freeze. However, the plants have stopped growing for the year, the few vegetables having remained the same size for a couple of weeks, now. It’s time to harvest. Carrots are the crop of the day. I planted about four dozen of them in various containers. The largest, 3-4 inches long, came out of the clear plastic, Black Velvet bottles that I had cut the tops off of. I planted three to a bottle and they did fairly well, but some were stunted about an inch from the surface soil and then split into several carrot fingers reaching further down into the container. I’ll have to study up on that before next spring and try again. The ones that I planted in 3-gallon planters never got bigger around than the last digit on my pinkie finger. Oh, well, after trimmed and cleaned, the summer’s yield will be one good side dish for the two of us tonight, alongside Halibut filets that I caught a few weeks ago, and some potatoes left over from the River Lodge’s end-of-season cleanup.

As set the container of semi-clean carrots to soak on the kitchen counter in a Glad plastic tub filled with river water, I grab the couple of plastic containers (empty whiskey jug and battery package) that can be reused later, two ginger ale cans for the recycling box, and the 1 ½ pound Folgers can which serves as our kitchen compost bucket, and head downstairs. With everything in its place and a good stir of the compost tub outside, it’s time to head to the garden to harvest the beets. I’m not expecting much because the stalks and leaves are only about 6-inches tall. My expectations are met with roots the size of a pen refill tube and no bulbs at all. Compost material, at best.

I picked the last of the peas and beans a couple of days ago and added them to a Thai Curry that I had made for dinner. Our biggest green tomato is smaller than a ping pong ball, cuke is small, prickly, and wonting, the Walla Walla onions not much more than the chives, peppers are non-existent, cabbages gave us leaves but no heads, and on and on. I know I shouldn’t be disappointed because I knew we got a late start this year and it was a long shot to even plant, but the summer was so exciting, watching the plants grow and nourishing them with river water, organic fertilizer, and hand-crushed egg shells.

After feeding the beets to the compost tub near the garden, I head back down the steps with some empty food and wine boxes from the trash for Gregg to add to the fire. I decide to start a box of burnable waste to reduce our trash that needs to go to town this winter. Sitting on the bottom set of steps, just outside of the greenhouse, I watch the boxes turn to ashes while Gregg throws a stick for Nuka, her favorite game. He tells me he heard a moose crashing around in the brush across the river. We get quiet and listen and he rustles some nearby branches with the stick he had been throwing for Nuka, making a sound similar to a moose scraping his antlers. Silence. I notice there are a couple of shriveled, seed-filled, Marigold pods in the flower box on the greenhouse landing, pinch them off, and search their purple-flower-neighbors (I don’t know what their called), but their seed pods are still green.  I hold the precious Marigold seeds tight in my hand as I ascend back up two levels to the cabin porch and collect any seeds ready from those flower boxes, as well. More Marigolds and some yellow daisies. I smile and take them inside where I’ll leave them to dry out on a paper towel for the day before squirreling them away in my homemade seed envelopes for safe-keeping until spring.

By noon, my hands are cold from washing the carrots outside in 33 degree water from the river. Time for another cup of coffee and spend a couple of hours writing while Gregg empties the mouse traps downstairs that he baits with dog food (he keeps the mice for trapline bait), takes a walk over to check on the River Lodge, boarded up for winter, comes back to report one grouse and his regret at not having taken his .22 with him, and settles in at the kitchen table for another round of Sudoku.

Today is quieter than most. We enjoyed having a lifelong friend of his here for a visit for the past 12 days, but he left on yesterday’s afternoon flight, bound for his home in Minnesota. The quietness of just the two of us is comfortable and welcome.

It’s already two in the afternoon. Where did the morning go? This afternoon, after we enjoy a late lunch of grilled cheese sandwiches and Salt & Vinegar Lay’s, I’ll probably do some quilting before making our Halibut/Carrot/Potato dinner, after which, we’ll turn on the generator to use the internet,  listen to Sirius Radio, and maybe even watch a movie, most probably a western of some sort. Internet time is when I do most of my “work,” marketing my three online businesses, Younique (makeup), Perfectly Posh (bath & body products), and PawTree (pet supplies). That’s also when I research online teaching opportunities and send off magazine submissions. Tonight, I’ll probably also put together a baking plan for what I need to make Thursday and Friday for this Saturday’s Market in town.


What was I writing about? Oh yeah, what I do with all of my spare time!

1 comment:

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...