Saturday, June 27, 2009

Farmer's Market



The parking lot was full when I arrived at the Homer Farmer's Market this morning around 11am. Not being a fan of crowds, I strode through the market, spending time at booths that weren't being mobbed and then went through the market two more times to catch those previously mobbed booths and check out their wares.

I was greeted by bright pink Fireweed Jelly, deep purple Bluebarb Jam (both of which I purchased), and a delicacy that I'd never heard of... Kelp Pickles. At $3.00/jar, it was a bargain and I picked up a jar of the neon green mixture and held it up to the light, considering it for a care package that I'm putting together for my dad. The lady at the booth, being ever so cheerful, offered me a taste from a bowl she had out. I eagerly grabbed a toothpick and pierced a healthy piece of picked kelp, plopped it in my mouth and... wished desperately for a spitoon! The texture was remarkably like pickles. However, the flavor was a mixture of fishy saltwater and vinegar - unbelievably nasty. I smiled as I walked away, unable to comment and afraid to open my mouth. All I could think of was getting back to that jelly/jam booth for a taste of jam and bread to clean my mouth out. That poor woman. I have no doubt that she would sell many a jar, being that it's so unique and the market is filled with tourists, if she would just put away the free samples! Don't let them taste it! Blaahk! Lucky for my dad, I got a good taste and will be saving that three dollars for a rainy day!

Then, I was on to homemade soaps and lotions with absolutely delicious homegrown fragrances made from nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon, orange, clove, rosemary, juniper berries, and even hand-milked goat milk (from a neighbor's farm). All are made locally and I walked away with Plumeria lotion and Tundra Spice Goat Milk Soap.

Natives were selling intricate beadwork in the form of earrings and wall hangings. Fresh blue corn tortillas were being made in the next booth. Plant starters were everywhere. The line at the booth with the fresh bread was much too intimidating, though the Cheese Dill bread was calling my name. Fresh vegies were sparce - a lot of greens, radishes, and onions - but that was about it, much to my dismay.

I returned home with my treasures, boxed them up with some canned salmon and salmon jerky, tucked in tight with some Alaska themed kitchen towels and now I'm off to the post office. Care package. What a neat name! That is totally the best description. It is a package put together with care. With a lot of thought and a little shopping, I had created the ultimate Alaskan treasure-filled box for my dad. I just wish I could bottle this blue-skied day so that when Dad open's the box, a vision of mountains, the clear blue sea, and fields of blue lupines would appear before him, with a cool breeze blowing off the glacier and across my deck... Alas, that's a care package that he'll have to come here to get!


For more info on the Homer Farmer's Market - http://www.homerfarmersmarket.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...