Friday, December 18, 2015

A Norman Rockwell Christmas

Today is the last day of school for the year, an exciting time for students and teachers alike. Finishing up projects, entering the last grades, a Christmas party, and a movie. In my classes today (we're only having morning classes), we are watching Norman Rockwell's Christmas Story. I chose this movie from my Amazon Prime list because it's the right length (48 minutes), highly rated (even though it was made in 1996), and my dad was a Norman Rockwell fan. There was no other choice for me.

Add caption
Dad was "old school," traditional, conservative in many ways (not politically), and valued his simple upbringing in rural Iowa and Missouri, right on the border. There's nothing out there but twisty, two-lane roads bordered on both sides by farmland. Rolling hills, scattered patches of trees, and occasional towns made up of a post office, city hall, and several churches. On first glance, the towns, if they can even be called that, seem run-down and forgotten, but if you venture off the main road, you get a very Normal Rockwell-esque feeling. Names like Nodaway County, Hopkins, Bedford, and Maryville take you back to a simpler time. A time of family-run general stores, drive-in theaters, and home-cooked meals. I sure do miss Dad and his stories.
Hopkins, Missouri

This Christmas, I will spend with my sister, for the first time. Dad was married before my mother, and they divorced while she was pregnant. Because of unfortunate circumstances, youth, and poor decisions, Dad wrote off total legal right to his unborn child, my sister Holly, and promised to never contact her. Five years later, I was born. When I was 29, with the help of a private investigator, I found Holly. We have been "sisters" for 19 years, now. We didn't grow up together and although we have visited one another often over the years, we have never lived close enough to make it practical for us to spend Christmas together.

Bedford, Iowa - 10 miles north of Hopkins
I came to the realization of the loss involved from being "practical" when Dad passed on September 25, 2014. It had never been practical for me to go visit him in South Carolina - he had lived there over 20 years. I didn't sit in one of his porch chairs until he was gone. I never gave him a chance to make me dinner on his fancy grill.

It had never been practical for me to visit Holly when he was there, too. The first time the three of us were ever in a room together was the day Holly and I went to pick up Dad's ashes from the funeral home.

After Dad passed, I vowed to never let practical get in the way of memories again. That's why I spent five weeks this summer traveling around the states visiting friends and family. That's why I'm spending Christmas in Gig Harbor, WA, with my sister and her family this year. No more excuses. No more procrastination when it comes to relationships. You've heard it before, but it's truth has never rung clearer to me than it has the past 15 months, "There is no promise of a tomorrow."

I've always tended to be a bit non-traditional when it comes to Christmas. Not this year. Holly and I will laugh together and bake together and probably play a game of Scrabble. We will enjoy her grandkids (practice time for me), and I'll get to spend some quality time with my favorite niece. We will miss our dad together and imagine what it would be like for him to be there with us, cracking jokes, tickling the grandkids, and eating too much turkey. He is the one who brought us all together.

Holly and I have shared a lot of firsts over the past 19 years. This year, it will be Christmas. I'm not expecting a Norman Rockwell Christmas, but pretty darn close!



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joyful Journey of the King Cake

“Lassiez les bons temps rouler!” Let the good times roll! After spending eighteen years as an adult in Louisiana, from age twenty through th...